Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Too Much Upelkuchen & Eating With Arabs

I have been here now nearly 2 weeks. At this stage, everything that happens, even what was commonplace in the States, is new and different to me. I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually, but on the other hand I am a person who finds adventure in everything, even the things I do or attend regularly. However, one thing I know I will not get used to quickly is the food. I've mentioned this in previous posts, and I'm certain I've done well in the telling. This time I think I will fully illustrate precisely what iftar was tonight, although I cannot help you to understand how TASTY it was :D


I'm well aware that بطاطا is spelled wrong.
First we have homemade french fries, which have literally been cut and fried just as they do at In-N-Out, if you need a reference :D Beneath those are a Jordanian favorite of fried in spices cauliflower (zahara mqlea) which I myself am not really partial to, but will eat paired with something else. Directly below that is another kind of shoraba (soup) made from maggi cubes and lentils (adis; tastes JUST like Dhal, an Indian favorite dish of mine). On that note, arabic cuisine and Indian cuisine share striking similarities, naturally due to their close proximity's to each other. A dessert I had tonight is essentially Gulab Jamun with less syrup. There is of course arabic fried chicken (djaj mqlea), which is oddly enough not fried but baked, a crunchy skin the only similarity to actual fried chicken. Below that is a plethora of pickled vegetables (mghal alkhdar; something I detest) including carrots which I discovered to my chagrin. And of course no Arabic meal is complete without a quantity of bread (khobis). Now on the side, even and especially at breakfast, there is usually a bowl of yogurt, lebn (a sour milk paste of sorts) and hummus naturally. This picture does not feature those. Standard condiments in arabic dining.


As for non-standard fare, Shadi and I are avid fans of a beverage found in the Mid East called Al Waha Float Drink. It has about 6 different varieties. I'm currently stuck on Pineapple. For those StL readers who are Vess soda fans, you would notice the similar flavor, but the best part is the floating fruit pieces!


I have yet to try the other flavors, but reader I will!
We took our usual walk tonight and along the way picked up fresh  فلافل (falafel), and when I found Twix I was overjoyed at our acquisitions (the only candy I have found here so far has been of the Turkish variety, which I have to say does not compare in the slightest to Western sweets). Ice cream was also procured for the family back home, and while nice, still also does not compare. I find it poignant in this stage of the tale to backtrack the night a little bit to Tarawea prayer 2 hours previously, as all this food (upelkuchen referenced in title) is the reason for a question asked of me there.

I have now gone to Tarawea for 3 nights, and every night I go more and more ladies seem to show up. If I was a member of the community, I would chalk it up to the approaching last 10 days of Ramadan, in which the Night of Power (ليلة القدر) is hiding. But arabs are often shrewd, and as I am also, I know for sure that it is because of me. Tonight I was the subject of study. Its very hard to communicate with the ladies (men too) here due to my appalling lack of conversational arabic skills. My reading and writing is superb I'm told, but speaking to people is a different matter. Its a struggle everyday. At the masjid we laugh it off, and attempt hand signals. They all become aware I am married to Shadi, and here's the tie-in: one older lady pats my muffintop belly hidden under a dress and asks in mixed hand signal/arabic whether I'm expecting already!! I knew I was overweight.. but damn. Luckily I am charmed minutes later when another friendly woman nearer to my age indicates to me that my husband is a hottie, good job for catching him, and we are a cute couple. Shadi finds this info entertaining, naturally, and Momma Aicha laughed herself silly when he told her of the pregnancy inquiry. Well, its late, so I'm off to bed. Btw, Happy Bad Poetry Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment