Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Mad-Hatter's Tea Party or Ramadan In A Muslim Country

It's a bit overdue, but RAMADAN KAREEM!
                                  
My Arabic & Pakistani Muslim friends told me for years how different it was to celebrate Ramadan in a Muslim country rather than a secular one like the States, and I was excited to see for myself. Indeed it has been different, and to my great pleasure somewhat easier to do. Back home, it was always a struggle to maintain my fast. Whether it was pressure from non-Muslim acquaintances who always seemed to want to have lunch only in August, couldn't understand why I wouldn't break it just this one time, or such things like my yearly summer illness, school, work, and etc. Here among a wholly Muslim community it has nearly been a cinch, despite the incredible dry heat and lack of A/C. It doesn't hurt either that for the first time in 8 years I find myself without a job or school at this time in the summer, and the first Ramadan completely uninhibited. However, now the challenge is finding things to DO, instead of finding the time. Time I have in abundance. With the heat keeping most people indoors all day, and for me no Jordanian license until I get permanent residency (I couldn't drive my in-laws car at any rate; its a stick shift) , no A/C, very little english channels on tv, my books back in storage with my parents, and blocked favorite webpages here, I find myself with so much free time I could puke. I usually end up sleeping! One can have too much sleep, I find.

Despite the dry heat, the cool nights more than make up for the time fasting. Iftar is always delicious and filling thanks to Momma Aicha, and the nightly walks Shadi and I take around his neighborhood are a singular delight. Its much like walking through my own hometown during a snow-less Christmas season, complete with oftentimes tacky lighting decor in honor of the celebration.


Pretty much all the lights resemble this one

There remains only 13 more days, or under 2 weeks, to this month of mercy, and I intend to get everything I can from it. To cap off the month, my wedding is the day after sanctioned Eid, and tonight after iftar and my cousins-in law showed up for a visit we got down to brass tacks. Invitations, arrangements, and etc are all on the table. (Apparently it takes a very short time, down to weeks in Jordan to plan a wedding and execute it unlike the year we take in the States. I guess it helps that all your relatives live in the same town and half of them don't have jobs they have to take off of). Its to be a short post tonight; I didn't get my usual amount of sleep post-suhoor and Shadi has already nodded off. So I leave you with images of Ramadan in Jordan. :)




A decorations vendor in Jordan


More lights!!

The main masjid in downtown Amman

7 comments:

  1. Masha Allah, your blog is really nice. I know what its like there during Ramadan. I got married to my husband last year in Irbid during Ramadan. I totally understand the "nothing to do" and "to much sleep". At least you have your blog to keep you busy! May Allah give you happiness and a blessed marriage. Insha Allah when I visit my husband in Irbid again, we can meet up. I saw you before you left at the Masjid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! So I know you! Salaams! When do you come back to be with your man? It is sad to be away from him during Ramadan I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are Facebook friends, we've seen each other on Sunday's where you attended Br. Aftab's class. I work in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't be able to see him for Allah knows how long. My last visit was this past June, so it will be awhile. I am trying to bring him here. I'm at the point where I can't stand it and even though I am not a big fan of Jordan, let alone Irbid I am ready to move there! I think he lives in Al-Hesen, Irbid which is close to where your at.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I dunno if I could have married Shadi if I wasn't going to be with him. Shadi was always either going to come to the States or I was going to him; 4 months was too hard for me! Al-Hesen isn't too far from here, you're right; although in a month we are moving to Amman, so we'll be farther away. So you got that job, then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The job is still pending. If I get it (Insha Allah) then I can bring my hubby over. Good luck in Amman. What part are you moving to? Btw my facebook name is Jenna McVicker

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I figured it out. We are not certain yet about which circle or etc we are taking.

    ReplyDelete